County Home

Qualifying Life Events FAQ

Which of my children can be enrolled in the Healthcare Plan and/or Life Insurance Coverage?

Your children up to age 26, even if:

  • They don't live with you
  • Are not a full time student
  • They are married
  • They are financially independent
  • They have access to other health coverage through their own employer

Coverage options for children over age 26?

OPTION 1: Disabled Dependent Coverage

The Cooperative allows coverage for a disabled dependent who reaches the limiting age of 26, to continue if the dependent:

  • Is and continues to be incapable of self-sustaining employment by reason of intellectual/developmental disability, mental or physical handicap;
  • Is and continues to be primarily dependent upon the employee for support and maintenance; and
  • The disability began before reaching the limiting age.

OPTION 2: Dependents Employer

Loss of coverage through the Franklin County Cooperative group plan may provide opportunity to enroll into dependents employer group plan.


The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) requires continuation of health care coverage to be offered for up to 36 months for a dependent who loses coverage due to a loss of eligibility.

OPTION 4: Healthcare Marketplace/Individual Policy

The Marketplace offers "one-stop shopping" to find and compare private health insurance options. For more information about the Marketplace, go to Multiple insurance carriers offer Individual policies, including but not limited to United Healthcare, Medical Mutual of Ohio, Aetna, Humana, and Anthem. There is typically some type of medical underwriting involved, but this can be a less expensive alternative.

How soon must I notify my Agency/Benefits Department of a Life Event Change?

You have 30-days from the date of the Qualifying Life Event to notify the Benefits Office. A Benefits Representative will be happy to assist you.

How do I change my Beneficiary(ies) on my Life Insurance Program?

You can make changes to your life insurance beneficiary(ies), by logging onto the online enrollment system at and selecting "Change My Benefits", then "Basic Info". If you experience trouble processing the request, please contact the Benefits Office. A Benefits Representative will be happy to assist you.

What happens if I miss the 30-day enrollment window?

You have a 30-day window to enroll in Benefits. If you miss your 30-day window you and your eligible dependents will not be able to enroll or change your benefit election until the next Open Enrollment period.

What happens if I lose employment?

Cobra - Continuation of Healthcare Coverage:

COBRA coverage under the Franklin County Cooperative Health Improvement Program, (the "Cooperative") includes medical, prescription drug, dental, vision and behavioral health. All eligible employees can elect COBRA coverage for a period of up to 18 months and dependents for up to 36 months. Contact the Benefits Office for current plan year COBRA rates.